POINT-TO-POINT ROUTE: Get shuttled to Big Bay where a 1.9km cold water swim will test you physically and mentally. Get out of your wetsuit and fuel up in T1, and get on your bike for a scenic 90km cycle along the coastal road and to T2 in the Cape Town CBD. Have your supporters cheer you on along the 3 x 7km run loop in the city centre.
1 x 1.9km loop
- 1 lap
- Cold water swim, with water temperature range 14-16.5 degrees
- Anticipated wetsuit compulsory swim
- Stay tuned for our training tips on how to best prepare for cold water swimming
The swim will start in front of Big Bay Surf Lifesaving Club
- A gun start for Elites will be followed by a rolling beach start for age groupers, which will set the swimmers off directly out to sea – catching the rip current past the rocks on the left.
- After your 910m straight out swim, 2 right turns will bring you back to the shore.
- Exit on the north exit of Big Bay Beach, and run up the boardwalk towards the northern car park where T1 is located.
90km with 3 turning points
- Non drafting rules will apply
- Flat and fast, with a total elevation gain of 398m over your 90km course
- There are three 180-degree turning points on course
- TT, road, mountain, and hybrid bikes may be used. Recumbent and electric bikes are not permitted. For more details please refer to rules and regulations.
- Exit T1 and continue to the bike mount line in Beach Estate Boulevard, from where you will head north.
- Turn left at the traffic circle onto the M14 – Otto du Plessis Drive – and continue to Melkbosstrand.
- At the M14 & Birkenhead Drive intersection, continue straight across and cycle along Otto du Plessis Drive until you reach the entrance to Koeberg Power Station.
- At Turning Point 1, head back down Otto Du Plessis Drive and back to Big Bay.
- At Big Bay, continue over the first traffic circle, switching to the sea side of the M14. Follow the M14 / Otto Du Plessis Drive, through to Blouberg then over the traffic circle onto Marine Drive. Pass Dolphin Beach Hotel on your right, and at the traffic lights turn right onto the R27 West Coast Road.
- Turning onto the sea side of the dual carriageway, you will be cycling in the left lane to allow contraflow of cyclists.
- Follow the R27 through to just before Lagoon Beach for Turning Point 2.
- Follow the same coastal route back to Turning Point 3 located in Melkbos.
- Turning point 3 is at the intersection of Otto Du Plessis and Birkenhead Drive as you reach Melkbosstrand. Again following the same route, you will follow the same route en route to Cape Town CBD.
- At the intersection of Boundary Rd and Marine Drive, you will join the MyCity Bus lane that will take you into Cape Town.
- At the Milnerton Market, take a left turn into Milner Street and follow the bus lane through Paaden Eiland into town. The Bus Lane will exit onto Hertzog Blvd, where you will continue under the Civic Centre to Heerengracht Street.
- Take a left turn and follow Heerengracht Street past Cape Town Station, where it becomes Adderley Street.
- Continue straight up Adderley Street until it becomes Government Avenue.
- Follow the leafy Government Avenue pedestrian lane through the Company Gardens until you reach Avenue Street, where you will dismount your bike and run into Transition 2.
- 3-lap course through the heart of the City of Cape Town.
- You will pass T2 on each lap which is located next to the finish village.
- This is a great route for crowd support and cheering.
- Undulating course with a total elevation gain of 378m over your 21km run.
- Exit T2 in front of the South African National Gallery for the start of your 3-lap run course.
- Head down Gallery Lane and turn left onto St. Johns Street.
- Run past Parliament on your left and down Plein Street to Mostert Street.
- Turn right onto Mostert Street and follow the road left into Albertus Street.
- Turn left down Buitenkant Street and right at the intersection into Darling Street.
- Run past the Castle of Good Hope and continue straight on Darling Street until it turns into Keizergracht Street.
- Turn right into Christiaan Street and follow the road all the way up to De Waal Drive. At the top, turn around and head back down Christiaan Street, turning left into Constitution Street.
- Run past the Cape Peninsula University of Technology, over De Villiers Street and left into Makenzie Road.
- Turn right onto Roeland Street and head down towards Parliament.
- Turn left in front of Parliament, heading up St. Johns Street.
- Avenue Street, just before Cape Town High School, marks the end of Lap 1.
- Turn right into Avenue Street and right again past T2 to start your 2nd lap of the run course.
- At the end of your 3rd lap, continue past Avenue Street and turn right onto the school fields of Cape Town High School.
- The last 300m will snake through the finish village on the sports field, passing numerous spectator zones before you hit the final straight.
- On the last corner you will pass the family meet zone where your loved ones can join you for the final 100m of red carpet to the finish line.